I’ve made this a few times now and each time we eat it we remember how much we love it! We last made it for one of our Smith nights and our guests liked it as well. You’d be surprised how yummy the kielbasa/apple/cheddar combo tastes!
Kielbasa & Apple Pasta Bake
1 lb. rigatoni pasta
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion – sliced
1/4 cup flour
4 cups milk
3 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 tsp salt
14 oz. cooked kielbasa – sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
3 Fuji apples – cored and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- Heat oven to 350°. Coat a 10 cup baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the pasta until tender according to package directions. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute more.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Boil for about 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Set aside 1 cup cheese for later. Stir in the remaining 2 cups cheese, hot pepper sauce, and salt into the milk mixture until smooth (the sauce mixture will look kind of gross, but trust me, it tastes delicious!).
- In the pasta pot, toss pasta, cheese sauce, kielbasa, and apples. Spoon into the baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake, covered, at 350°, for 30 minutes. Uncover. Stir pasta mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake about 10 minutes more until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Is your mouth watering yet? Enjoy! 🙂
(recipe from Family Circle Cookbook)